Contax t3 vs t2

The Contax T2 is one of those cameras that has skyrocketed in price due to its recent popularity in media and partly from influential celebrities. Yes the Contax T2 is great, excellent in fact, but these days I cannot definitively say if it is being sought after due to its merits or its cool-factor.

contax t3 vs t2

Take a look at the price trends of the Contax T2 from when it was released in up to today. Some of them are cheaper and some more expensive, of course if your budget is guiding your next purchase you can take a look at the cheaper alternatives to the Contax T2.

contax t3 vs t2

I will order them roughly by lowest to highest current selling price. Now there are two ways to look at what it means for a camera to be an alternative to the Contax T2. One way is looking at cameras with the same lens that will give you similarly looking images, and the other way to look at cameras with equivalent features and specs. Since I believe most photographers find a camera that fits their style, rather than fitting their style to a given camera - we will take a look at the latter option.

So here are 15 film camera alternatives to the Contax T2 in that match or exceed it in terms of basic specs and features. Specifically we will be looking at cameras that meet the following criteria as they are they key features of the Contax T2.

More popular are the excellent Yashica T4 and Yashica T5 which I did not include on this list as they do not match or beat the lens specs of Contax T2 with their maximum apertures of f3.

Though that difference is rarely noticeable and they too make a nice alternative to the Contax T2. The Yashica T3 will be your most budget friendly alternative, though the aesthetics of the design take a little getting used to. It kind of reminds me of a more geometric-looking little brother to the Konica AiBORG - which resembles a Koi fish blowing a big juicy kiss. The Yashica T3 makes for the cheapest alternative to the Contax T2, and the second largest but not the heaviest on this list.

Fastest lens in the T series. Programmed electronic autoexposure system with SPD sensor. EV coupling range at ISO No infinity lock. Digital display on top of camera features lens barrier open mark, exposure counter up to 39 framesautofocus mark, battery level indicator, self-timer mark, flash status and mode, long exposure warning.

Film autoloading, automatic film advance and automatic rewind. Mid-roll rewind possible via manual button. Built-in flash with 0.

Contax T Review – My Final Word in Pocket Cameras – by Hern Tan

Features multiple modes: automatic fire in low light, forced fire, forced suppression. Flash range is 0. Lens has a glass barrier and protection slider, that also acts as switch for low-power mode.

Photo by Bellamy of Japan Camera Hunter. The upgrades in included a new maximum aperture lens at f2. You can always check out more camera in the Big Mini line with a maximum aperture of f3.Popular opinion on the Contax TVS says that its sluggish aperture and softer zoom lens make it a third-rate camera.

Sure, it lacks certain capability compared with the others in its line, but the unique things that it offers over these other cameras do overbalance the few ways in which it comes up short. InKyocera released the Contax Ta titanium-bodied compact rangefinder camera aimed to satisfy the well-heeled photographer looking for a luxurious and incredibly compact 35mm film camera. It even had a synthetic ruby for its shutter release button. InKyocera further refined the formula with the Contax T2.

This second of the series continued the high level of build, retained the same high performance lens and respectable creative controls, but added automation in the form of available autofocus. It was a true point-and-shoot camera, eschewing the manual focus rangefinder of the original T.

Made of the same titanium as the earlier cameras, and fitted with all the latest technology, some shooters have described the Contax TVS as a zoomy version of the T2. This is coarsely true, but there are finer points that differentiate the TVS from every other model in the range. As touched upon, the big gripe when comparing the TVS to the other Contax compacts is leveled against the relatively slow lens of the TVS.

And the subject isolation from any of these cameras will be indistinguishable from another when each is shot wide open. Thanks to this incredible lens, the Contax TVS offers the widest field-of-view of any of the Contax compacts. And sure, we could argue that simply taking five steps backward will get the same frame with the main-line T series cameras, but we could also argue that the TVS has something no other T series machine can match.

No one in the real world will be able to tell a TVS shot against a T2 shot based on sharpness. In the past few years, prices for the Contax T2 and T3 have surged on a wave of celebrity endorsement. Famous and society tells me beautiful people have been seen on television, at the Oscars, and on Instagram flashing the camera with their Contax T2s and T3s.

contax t3 vs t2

Because of these popular influencers, prices have climbed to previously unthinkable and unadvisable heights. But these usually cost more than the TVS. But this camera is pretty rare and costs about three times the price of the Contax TVS. For shooters who want a zoom-lensed compact, there are plenty of options that are decidedly less luxurious, but make equally excellent photos. These cameras get no respect — the Olympus Stylus zoom machines especially the Wide Deluxe versions offer similar specs at a lower price.

But it has enough flaws that the next few paragraphs will contain sprinklings of both praise, and criticism. Its titanium body panels fit tightly, its battery cover is metal, and its film door clicks heavily into place. The winding motors and shutter produce sounds that inspire confidence in its electromechanical innards, and a textured rubberized coating in critical locations creates confident handholds.

In short, the TVS feels like an exceptionally high quality camera. Until we look through the viewfinder, which is small and finicky, since any change to the angle of approach will create optical display issues that black out the edges of the frame.

Only by repositioning the eyeball are we able to get back to centered and see the whole frame. The film frame counter and flash mode display sit on the top of the camera in the form of LCD screens. The manual focus mode is acceptable, but I dislike using it.

Essentially we spin a focus-scale-marked thumbwheel and set it to the distance to our subject.The Contax T camera line consists of a number of compact cameras sold by Kyocera under the Contax brand.

They were introduced between and The T, T2, and T3 use 35mm film and have a fixed 35 mm wide-angle lens. The Tix uses APS film and has a fixed 28 mm wide-angle lens. InKyocera sold its camera business to Cosina and announced it would cease all activity related to the manufacture of Contax cameras at the end of the year.

Apples and Oranges-- Contax G2 vs. Contax T2

A 35 mm film, compact rangefinder camera with a titanium body. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Japanese line of cameras. Kyocera Global. April 12, Archived from the original on April 13, Retrieved November 17, Popular Photography. December American Photo. July—August Digital Photography Review.

The Times. June 3, Retrieved November 17, — via www. January—February Category Commons. Categories : film cameras APS film cameras Contax rangefinder cameras. Hidden categories: Use mdy dates from April Articles with short description Short description matches Wikidata.

Namespaces Article Talk.

The Best Point \u0026 Shoot Film Camera?!?! The Contax T3 - 2019 Overview

Views Read Edit View history. Help Learn to edit Community portal Recent changes Upload file. Download as PDF Printable version. Add links.They were either too thick to comfortably fit into my pocket, had unreliable autofocus, or were so noisy that they would turn heads when I was going about my shooting.

Enter the Contax T. Three words: Silent, pocketable, rangefinder. Almost as if someone decided to upgrade the Olympus XA into its final form. Let me elaborate in the bite-sized sections below. It certainly is thinner than the T2, and about on par with the T3, but taller than the both of them due to the need to fit a rangefinder mechanism into the camera. This leaves it looking somewhat like a square, with equal amounts of space on both sides of the camera for you to grip. All this means that it will go into a trouser pocket without looking like you may have a thing for every person you see walking down the street, although you will feel it pulling your pants down slightly due to its weight.

It wraps nicely around the right side of the camera, covering the front and the back with a contour that just fits into the palm. The shutter button is, by Contax tradition, yet another synthetic gem.

Synthetic ruby, to be precise. It is large and round and mushy, with no definite half-press, so you might have to practice with gauging just how much pressure is enough to get the meter working without firing the shutter before you load a roll into it. Shooting with the camera on the street is a pleasure, as the shutter is practically silent when you release it, and there is no film wind motor to generate any sort of noise.

Sometimes, in a busy environment, you may not even hear the shutter yourself! The T has a manual ISO selector on the top of the camera, with a button on the back to release the lock. First off, I would like to say that Contax really nailed it for a compact.

Bright frame lines that rarely fade even in strong sunlight, a contrasty diamond shaped rangefinder patch, and a good layout of shutter speed indicators. The Contax T has that iconic flap doubling as a lens cap and the mechanism that pulls out the lens for shooting. Unfortunately, it also gets in the way of my fingers when I first tried to turn the focus ring on the lens. The workaround, and apparently the prescribed method for using the focus ring on the lens, is to have your fingers go under and around the flap.

After that, it is all per rangefinder focusing… Who needs autofocus? Sharpness is of course a quality of this lens. However, it is neither razor-like nor harsh.

This quality, combined with a relatively high contrast gives images a certain organic look. Bokeh is suitably creamy up close, but it will not be very evident as the lens is limited to a minimum focusing distance of 1 meter.

You would think that a bottom loading camera would be somewhat of a bother. Oh no, the Contax T just has to make things just that bit more finicky. Those of you who have owned a Rollei 35 should be familiar with the folding film pressure plate.

Even if you do things by the book, you are still bound to end up with uneven frame spacing, which may or may not be an issue depending on the scanner you or your lab use. Once again, all monochrome stuff.

Sorry, color lovers! Also owning a T2 alongside the Contax T for a period of time, I chose to let the T2 go, and replaced it with yet another of the original goodness, with the standard excuse of it being a backup. The decision was rather long-drawn, mostly due to the convenience of autofocus that the T2 offered. The automatic flash is also brilliant, simply turn it on and it just goes with no fuss, giving you a well-exposed picture even in pitch darkness.

Despite this, the Contax T2 is definitely too large to fit in the side pockets of my jeans, and goes in with much difficulty into the pockets of my bermudas. The manual focus on the T2 also tended to be hit-and-miss, with no real way to know if the reading the electronic rangefinder is spitting out is accurate.The cameras were small jewels of photographic design and technology, and quickly gained a reputation as the finest compact cameras money could buy.

Through endorsements by popular socialites, steady representation on Instagram, and a reputation for delivering high quality images with almost zero effort, the Contax T-series have for better or worse become status symbols. With such a reputation comes a rather obnoxious elephant in the room — price.

The Contax T-series is one of the most expensive lines of cameras out there today, with prices regularly cracking four figures. The prohibitive price point presents an issue; which Contax T-series camera is the right one to buy? I can help. The T-series started in not with an autofocus point-and-shoot, but with a compact, manual focus rangefinder called the Contax T.

Solid, all-metal construction combined with a surprisingly intuitive control layout, set it a cut above its contemporaries, and it still impresses to this day. The original T does have a couple of limitations. There is no built-in flash, and the attachable flash nearly doubles the size and weight of this famously compact camera which makes photographing those racy American Apparel ads harder to do on the fly. The minimum focusing distance of one meter three feet also makes it less capable of traditional forms of head shot portraiture.

The Contax T is mostly suited towards more experienced enthusiasts looking for more control in their compact camera. The camera operates as a manual-focus rangefinder camera with aperture priority as its only AE mode, which demands a little bit more care and attention from prospective shooters. Shooters experienced with manual machines will find the Contax T a joy to shoot, especially those well-versed in the dark art of scale focusing, which the Contax T is basically made for, given those glorious green index dots on the lens and aperture ring.

The original T runs cheaper on average than its successors. The Contax T2 is easily the most hyped camera in the series. Chris Hemsworth of Thor fame used one while taking a dig at certain members of the film camera community.

Its Instagram hashtag is filled with trendy flash snapshots reminiscent of a certain photographer. As a photographic tool, the T2 is an impressive machine with a few key features. To complement the single-point autofocus, the camera features a nifty manual focus override, made even more usable with a digital rangefinder visible in the viewfinder. It also features a programmed AE mode and a built in flash, which makes the camera ready for pretty much anything.

The biggest downside to the T2 is its outsized reputation, which results in a legendarily inflated price tag. You can buy a pro-spec film SLR systemlenses and all, for less than a T2. You can buy a really great Leica M-camera with a stellar old-school Japanese lens for less than a T2. To buy a Contax T2 today is to buy into hype, literally, and it may not be the wisest decision, especially when other options are technically, and dare I say aesthetically, better. But if you really want one and your shooting style absolutely requires a Contax T2 as your main camera, go for it.

To each their own, I guess. The Contax T3 is the final iteration of the fixed focal length Contax T-series. And assuming that the curve continues, the Contax T3 should be the best, most expensive, and most infamous camera of the series. All of this is correct.Discussion in ' Leica and Rangefinders ' started by richJan 24, I have a nice Contax T2. Would either one of those be that much better than my T2?

I'd say the Hexar is the best but it's also much bigger that the others. I once tested the other 2 and the Leica Minilux against each other and liked the Nikon the best - but it was very close. Of course there is now the Leica CM which in many ways could be considered an improved Minilux but it pretty pricey by comparison. Personally, I'd stick with the T2. All these options are good, or very good. The Hexar AF, however, is the only one offering manual exposure control, if that matters to you.

The CM has manual exposure. The other candidates offer Av mode along with exposure compensation, if not completely manual control. Fans of the T2 are very enthusiastic about its optics, but it has a squinty viewfinder and only an approximate readout of the shutter speed.

I don't think it has full manual focusing. However, the 35Ti is probably so close in optical quality as to be equivalent, and has some unique advantages: full manual focusing or passive contrast-sensing autofocusaperture-priority AE or programmed AE with program shift, LCD shutter-speed readout in the large, bright illuminated finder, 2 sets of accurate parallax lines that light up at closer focusing distances, spot-on 3D Matrix metering, and the ultra-cool analog chronometer dial readouts.

The 35Ti is bigger than the T2, but still "pocketable" in a big pocket. The 35Ti has good depth-of-field at its closest focusing distance of 1. The well-known Achilles heel of the 35TI is the little flash buttons you have to hold awkwardly to force the flash-on or flash-off modes although you can set the camera to a constant flash-off mode via the highly opaque menus, which require the highly-opaque manual to set.

The flash is oriented toward fill-flash applications. I have had very good life with its CRA batteries. It produces exceptionally bright and vivid colors. Mine is also still for sale, with the eyepiece diopter adapter, case, strap and manual. There's hardly a more beautiful camera in the history of photography except maybe a Leica CM, or certainly an M2 or M3. As a Leica user I find the contrast and tonal qualities of the Minilux Summarit? It is really like getting a Leica lens in a small package.

Be happy with your T2. It has a great viewfinder and a great lens. I regret selling mine. The Minilux is bigger and the viewfinder is not as good, although the lens might be a tad better.

I can make great 11X14s from my Contax negatives. For that matter, the Yashica T4 was almost as good as the Contax. Just a little softer in the corners. If you decide you want to get rid of that T2, let me know. The Hexar is a much larger and heavier camera, if this matters to you. I know nothing about the Nikon, except I believe according to tests I saw some time ago, its lens is not the equal of the aforementioned.

Leica nuts? Any of the Leica offerings will be much higher in price. It's the Leica way. The T2 has optional scale focus with electronic assist. The Summarit on the Minilux is a superb lens but what about this frequently reported problem with the EO2 error message which seems to mean that the shutter must be replaced? Beside T3 is also smaller.Apples and Oranges-- Contax G2 vs. Alright, here is my predicament: I can't decide between the contax t2 and the g2. Now I know, before I annoy everyone, that these camera systems are very different-- one a point and shoot, the other a rangefinder.

I am just hoping to get some general impressions from any of you who may have experience with these cameras. I have heard great things about both.

I lean towards the t2 for the aforementioned reasons but it scares me to pay so much money for a point and shoot-- and I wonder if, like most point and shoots, the lack of manual features will hinder my pix. Okay, there it is.

Please share any thoughts you may have. Thanks, Andy. I have Contax T2 and T3, no experience with G2. Both T2T3 are now rather cheap on ebay. MTC PhotographyJan 22, Do you need to use external flash or full manual control? Would you accept that? The G2 is the same size as a medium sized SLR and the lenses are a bit smaller. OTOH, it's more a portability issue than "obtrusiveness" which is really a function of technique and demeanour.

It is not a toy. Much lower investment to see if you can be happy with the whole genus. The G2 is really an interchangeable lens point-and-shoot. The lenses are superb, incredible value for money. Yes, it uses an infrared rangefinder, so do many point-and-shoots. Of course, you do get some more manual control options with all of those Contax cameras. The G2, and the G1 are smaller than a medium sized slr don't you think?

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2